Web Analytics


How Do I Replace My Concealed Weapons Permit?

Quick Answer

This blog post provides readers with comprehensive information on how to replace a concealed weapons permit. It covers the general process and requirements for replacing a permit, as well as specific information for different states. The post also includes tips for a smooth replacement process and answers to frequently asked questions.


When it comes to concealed carry, responsible gun owners understand the importance of having a valid and up-to-date concealed weapons permit. However, there may be instances where you need to replace your existing permit due to loss, theft, damage, or expiration. In this article, we will provide you with comprehensive information on how to go about replacing your concealed weapons permit.

Replacing a concealed weapons permit can vary depending on the state in which you reside. Each state has its own specific requirements and procedures for obtaining a replacement license. It is crucial that you familiarize yourself with these guidelines so that you can navigate through the process smoothly.

In addition to providing an overview of the general steps involved in replacing a conceal carry weapon (CCW) license across states, we will also highlight some useful tips for ensuring a hassle-free experience during this process. Lastly, we have included a frequently asked questions section at the end covering common queries related to concealing carrying permit replacements.

By following our guidance and understanding what is required from each individual state’s regulations, you’ll be well-equipped when it comes time for renewing or getting new CCW licenses.

Why would you need to replace your concealed weapons permit?

A concealed weapons permit is an important document that allows individuals to legally carry a firearm in public. However, there are several reasons why someone might need to replace their concealed weapons permit:

1. Loss or theft:

One of the most common reasons for needing a replacement is if your original permit has been lost or stolen. Losing such an important document can be frustrating and worrisome, but it’s crucial to take immediate action by replacing it.

2. Damage:

Another reason for seeking a replacement is if your current concealment license has become damaged beyond use or recognition. This could include situations where the card becomes torn, faded, water-damaged, or otherwise compromised.

3. Expiration:

Concealed weapon permits typically have expiration dates ranging from one year up to five years depending on state regulations. If you wish to continue carrying firearms after its expiry date, you will require renewing/replacing with a new valid license.

4. Change of personal information:

If any changes occur regarding name, address, etc., you may want to update those details into existing licenses, which requires applying again.

Regardless of the specific reason behind needing a replacement concealed weapon license, it’s essential not only because possessing expired/invalid licenses leads to legal consequences but also having updated documents ensures smooth interactions with law enforcement officers during routine checks.

How to Replace Your Concealed Weapons Permit

Replacing a concealed weapons permit may be necessary if your current permit is lost, stolen, damaged, or expired. The process for replacing a concealed weapons permit can vary depending on the state you reside in. However, there are some general steps and requirements that apply in most cases.

1. Contact the issuing authority:

The first step in replacing your concealed weapons permit is to contact the issuing authority responsible for permits in your state. This could be a local law enforcement agency or another designated department within your state government.

2. Gather required documents:

Before applying for a replacement permit, gather all of the necessary documents as specified by the issuing authority. Commonly required documents include identification (such as driver’s license), proof of residency (e.g., utility bill), and any supporting documentation related to why you need to replace your existing permit (e.g., police report if it was stolen).

3. Complete application form(s):

Fill out any applicable forms provided by the issuing authority accurately and completely. These forms typically require personal information such as name, address, date of birth, and previous/current firearms training certifications (if applicable). Be sure to follow instructions carefully when completing these forms.

4. Pay fees:

In many states, a fee will be associated with obtaining a replacement concealed weapons permit. The amount of the fee can vary depending on the issuing authority and the state you reside in. Be prepared to pay this fee at the time of application. Most states accept cash, certified check, money order, or credit/debit card as forms of payment.

Replacing a concealed weapons permit in [State]

Replacing a concealed weapons permit can vary depending on the state you reside in. Here is specific information on how to replace your concealed weapons permit in certain states:

1. Wisconsin

If you are a resident of Wisconsin and need to replace your lost or stolen CCW license, follow these steps:

  • Visit the website for the Wisconsin Department of Justice’s Concealed Carry Weapon Application (URL2) for detailed instructions.
  • Fill out the Replacement Request Form, which must be submitted through mail as it is not available online.
  • Include any necessary documentation requested by the department along with your form.
  • The cost for replacing a CCW license is $12.

It’s important to note that if your license was damaged and you want a new card with your existing license number, this process also requires submitting an application via mail and returning your damaged card.

For more information about replacing permits or other resources related to concealed carry licenses in Wisconsin, visit their official website provided above.

2. South Carolina

To replace a lost or stolen concealed weapon permit (CWP) in South Carolina, refer to URL1 from SLED – State Law Enforcement Division regarding CWP replacement procedures.

Here are some key points outlined by SLED:

  • Download and complete Form PSC8A – “Application For A Duplicate Permit” from their official website mentioned earlier.
  • Submit completed forms either electronically using email submission option OR print them out & send them via postal service at address given below:

Mailing Address:

PO BOX 21398
Columbia, SC 29221

Please ensure all required documents such as proof of identification etc., accompany filled-out applications when sending them over.

These guidelines should help residents navigate through obtaining duplicate permits efficiently within respective states’ regulations. Remember to follow the specific instructions provided by your state’s issuing authority for a smooth replacement process.

Note: The information provided above is subject to change, and it is always recommended to refer directly to official sources or contact relevant authorities in your respective states for the most up-to-date procedures regarding replacing concealed weapons permits.

Tips for a Smooth Replacement Process

Replacing your concealed weapons permit can sometimes be an inconvenience, but with the right approach and knowledge, you can navigate the process smoothly. Here are some tips to help ensure a hassle-free replacement:

1. Report loss or theft promptly:

If your concealed weapons permit is lost or stolen, it’s crucial to report it as soon as possible. Contact local law enforcement authorities and provide them with all necessary details regarding the incident.

2. Familiarize yourself with state requirements:

Each state has its own specific requirements for replacing a concealed weapons permit. Take time to research and understand these requirements before initiating the replacement process.

3. Gather required documents in advance:

To replace your concealed carry license efficiently, gather all necessary documents beforehand so that you have everything ready when needed during the application process.

4. Submit accurate information:

  • Double-check all forms and applications for accuracy before submitting them.
  • Ensure that personal information such as name, address, contact number(s), etc., matches official records accurately.

5. Be cautious of scams:

Unfortunately, there may be individuals who try to take advantage of those seeking assistance in replacing their permits by offering fraudulent services or requesting sensitive personal information over phone calls or emails. Be wary of any unsolicited communication claiming they can expedite your replacement process at an additional cost. Always verify sources’ legitimacy through official government websites.

6. Protect Your Personal Information:

  • When filling out forms online, make sure you’re using secure connections (https://) on trusted devices.
  • Avoid sharing unnecessary personal data unless absolutely essential.

7. Follow up regularly:

After submitting your application, follow up periodically if no response is received within the expected timeframe. This will allow timely resolution should any issues arise.

By following these tips while navigating through this often tedious procedure, you’ll increase your chances of having a smooth experience throughout the entire Concealed Weapons Permit Replacement journey.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question 1: How long does it take to receive a replacement permit?

The processing time for receiving a replacement concealed weapons permit can vary depending on the state and their specific procedures. In general, you should expect it to take several weeks from the time your application is submitted until you receive your new permit in the mail. It’s important to plan ahead and apply for a replacement well before you need it.

Question 2: Can I expedite the replacement process?

Some states may offer an expedited service for replacing concealed weapons permits, but this will depend on individual state laws and regulations. If available, there might be additional fees associated with expediting the process. Check with your local issuing authority or visit their website to see if they provide any options for expediting replacements.

Question 3: What documents do I need to submit?

When applying for a replacement concealed weapons permit, most states require certain documentation as part of the application process. This typically includes:

  • A completed application form (which may be obtained online or through mail)
  • Proof of identification (such as driver’s license or passport)
  • Any necessary supporting documents specified by your state
  • Payment of applicable fees

It is essential that applicants carefully review their respective state requirements regarding document submission when seeking a replaced conceal carry weapon license.

Question 4: Can I replace my permit if it has expired?

In many cases, yes! Even if your original concealed weapons permit has expired, some states allow individuals who previously held valid permits within designated periods after expiration dates are eligible candidates. However, it’s crucial always check with relevant authorities in order not miss out on renewal deadlines which could result into having reapply all over again instead just renewing existing one.

Question 5: Can I replace my permit even though I have moved to a different state?

If you’ve relocated permanently from one state to another, you will typically need to apply for a new concealed weapons permit in your new state of residence. The process and requirements may vary from one state to another, so it’s important that you familiarize yourself with the laws and regulations specific to your current location. It is generally not possible or necessary to replace an existing concealed carry weapon license issued by a different state when moving permanently.

Please note: It’s essential always consult local authorities or visit their official websites for accurate information regarding replacing concealed weapons permits as rules can differ between states.


  1. https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Replace-Your-License
  2. https://concealedcarry.doj.wi.gov/ccwonline/steps/startReplacement.html
  3. https://www.sled.sc.gov/forms/regulatory/CWPReplacementForm.pdf